8 August, 2016
Utterly Refreshing Mango Lassi
A cherished drink at the Indian restaurants, Mango Lassi is a yogurt based mango milkshake or smoothie incorporating the sweetness of mango with coolness of yogurt!
Lassi comes in two distinct varieties: sweet and salty. The sweet version flavoured with sugar or honey can be pepped up with pureed fruit, rose-water or saffron strands.
Use either sweet and very ripe fresh mangoes or canned mango pulp. Choose super sweet Alphonso (honey mangoes), if using fresh. The pulp should be smooth, not fibrous. Canned mango pulp is available at Indian section of large supermarkets. Ground cardamom goes wonderfully with the mango. A good lassi is richly creamy; whizz up with a little ice and milk to make it just thin enough to slide down the throat
When the heat is intense replace meal with a good lassi!
Recipe courtesy of my lovely friend Rajashree Warrier
- 2 cups of ripe and very sweet mangoes (2 to 3 medium-sized Alphonso) cubed or 2 cups of canned pulp
- 2 cups chilled full fat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 ice cubes (optional)
- splash of milk
- crushed pistachios and whipping cream to garnish (optional)
- Peel the mangoes and chop them
- Puree the chopped mangoes with ice cubes in a blender
- Spoon in the yogurt and cardamom, (or rose-water or saffron threads) whiz until smooth
- If using canned pulp, blend it with yogurt and cardamom
- Add a little milk to thin it down; thickness will depend on the consistency of the yogurt and juiciness of mango
- Taste and add sugar or honey as required
- Pour into a glass, garnish with crushed pistachios and a dollop of whipping cream if you fancy it
Check out the video recipe presenting Rajashree Warrier’s Signature dish:
Mango Lassi, the most refreshing drink on earth!
Do you like Lassi plain, salty or sweet?