5 July, 2015
Moist Banana Walnut Bread
Antioxidants are extremely beneficial for your body because they may prevent or delay some types of cell damage and lower the risk of certain diseases. A brown-spotted banana is a sign that the antioxidant levels have increased.
A great way to use an overripe banana is in a banana bread or smoothie. Banana bread is easy to make-just a few simple steps-and irresistible to eat!
Total Time:1 hr 20 min
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 1 hr
Yield: 1 loaf
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 cup sugar (use half a cup if you are not keen on sugar)
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Grease a 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan with butter.
Greasing a cake ring or loaf tin: Rub a little butter around the inside of the tin to grease it. Take a small handful or spoonful of flour and dust lightly around the inside of the greased tin. Turn upside down over your kitchen work surface and knock gently to remove any excess flour.
1. Cream the butter and sugar with a hand-held mixer) until light and fluffy.
2. Pour the egg mixture gradually into the butter, while mixing, until incorporated.
3. Add the bananas
4. With a rubber spatula, mix in the flour mixture stirring only to moisten
5. Fold in the walnuts or dark chocolate chips and transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 55 minutes.