6 July, 2015
Beet Banana Cocoa Cupcakes
This uncanny combination of bananas and beet produces one of the most gaudy colors on earth! Beetroot with its extra ordinary anti-oxidant properties reduces blood pressure and the risk of heart attacks. Use overripe bananas with the beet puree for an extra kick of antioxidants!
Prep time-10 mins
Cook time-18 mins
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar (add more if you prefer sweeter cakes)
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed with a fork
- 1 cup beet puree, click here for Fresh Beet Puree
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Grease the 12-cup, cupcake pans with butter and keep aside
- Mix the mashed banana with the sugar, mix using a hand blender until smooth,
- add the oil and blend to combine.
- Crack an egg at a time into the banana puree and mix to combine, then add the beet puree
- Add the vanilla essence, stir using a spatula or wooden spoon to combine
- With a rubber spatula, mix in the flour mixture stirring only to moisten
Sprinkle some icing sugar before serving (optional)