12 July, 2015
Beet Chocolate Muffins
Beat the blues with these divine beet chocolate muffins!
Beets are a superb addition to any dietary need with their sweet, earthy flavor and high volume of nutrients. This superfood adds moisture and sweetness to the cake.
Beets and chocolates are a heavenly combination. The cake batter will be a purple color, but will bake into a moist chocolate cake with no trace of beets.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
- 1 cup beet puree Click here for Fresh Beet Puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 180 degree C and line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly grease
- sift all the dry ingredients and keep it aside
- beat eggs in a large mixing bowl
- Add beet puree, melted oil, honey, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk for 45 seconds
- Stir in milk and whisk once more
- Add cocoa powder and flours and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined, being careful not to over-mix
- Lastly, stir in chocolate chips
- Then divide batter evenly between muffin tins (should be enough for 11-12)
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, remove from tins and let cool on a cooling rack.