18 June, 2016
Crunchy Pine nut Quinoa Salad
Quinoa (KEEN-wah), super grain of the millennium is high in fiber enriched with a high-quality protein similar to that found in meat. This tiny nutritional powerhouse used to be a diet staple of the ancient Incas. It cooks up like rice and has a mild flavor similar to couscous. It is totally vegan, gluten free, loaded with vitamins and minerals!
Quinoa salad is very refreshing on hot summer days. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. Crunchy pine nuts, fresh parsley and flavorful bell peppers are a delicious combination in this simple and healthy quinoa salad.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup minced parsley (1 small bunch)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika or red chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, plus extra to taste
- sea salt
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Rinse the quinoa under cool water, add quinoa and a pinch of salt to the saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature; fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk olive oil, sea salt, paprika or red chilli flakes and lemon juice; add tomatoes, red onions, bell pepper, toasted pine nuts, garlic, mint, and parsley. Stir in cooled quinoa and toss well. Taste, adjust seasoning, as needed, and serve at room temperature or chilled.